Two TR4 Questions

To: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Two TR4 Questions
From: john.dunham@teradyne.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:19:42 -0400 |July 24, 2002) at 08/23/2004 01:19:09 PM
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hey all,
Two quick questions as my '62 resto creeps slowly along:
1. I am in the process of rebuilding my steering rack.  I am struggling
with removing the pinion.  I have the circlip out, but can't seem to get
the pinion to budge.  There is some type of pin in there...can I drill it
out?  I am reluctant to apply any heat, as the outer casting looks
aluminum.  Any suggestions?
2.  As I am flipping thru my Moss catalog, looking to order the tiny o-ring
that fits between the two front brake caliper halves (which Moss supplies)
I read a blurb that says separating calipers is not a good idea, as the
torque specs are unknown.  I have already split one (in order to remove
frozen pistons).  I haven't split the other one, but in order to remove the
pistons, seems like the easiest way to go...
Thanks in advance...
John Dunham
Development Engineering
Teradyne Connection Systems