Re: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff
From: Jim Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:56:53 -0400
Actually I have both flywheels too so that wouldn't be an issue but at this
point since it will be street driven and I have a new TR3 friction disc, I
will stay with the TR3 setup.
So I will then move the front snout and throwout bearing with sleeve over
from the 3 tranny to the 4, am I correct? The dire warning in the Moss
catalog didn't seem to apply to my situation so I would like to just double
check before proceeding. (I think I must be right but want to be aware of
any gotchas.)
Thanks,
Jim
=======================
Jack Drews wrote:
>The life of the finger clutch and the diaphragm clutch is about the same
>when used in a street driven car.
>
>You must mate either one to a flywheel that is drilled for the proper
>pattern. Your flywheel is probably drilled for the TR3 clutch so that's
>what you should use unless you have a reason to change. If you use the
>finger type clutch you must use the proper throwout bearing and sleeve.
>The bearing has a flat face and the sleeve is short.
>
>When using the later diaphragm clutch, of course the flywheel must be
>drilled for it, the throwout bearing has a rounded face, the throwout
>bearing sleeve is longer, and you must shorten the snout on the
>transmission. See description in Moss catalog on page 55.
>
>The friction disc is also a different diameter and the proper one should
>be used. The one for the diaphragm clutch has a smaller diameter.
>=================================
>  At 07:31 AM 8/28/2004, Jim Wallace wrote:
>>I will be mating a TR4A gearbox to my TR3a engine. I have the flywheel,
>>friction disc, clutch, and throwout bearings from both.....Is one setup
>>preferable? ....
>>I won't be racing; I don't mind if the pedal is a bit on the heavy side;
>>I already have a new TR3 friction disc, and as far as I can tell all the
>>components are in good shape from both setups.
>>Thanks,
>>Jim
>>2TS81417L+O

Check out the new British Cars Forum: