RE: Laycock J OD in a TR3A?

To: "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Laycock J OD in a TR3A?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:22:46 -0700
> I have received conflicting info regarding whether a
> Laycock J type Overdrive can be added to my '60 TR3A
> (which has a good but non-OD transmission).  The latest
> response I have received is that it is only possible with
> a TR4 Transmission.

If you really want a J-type behind a crash box, I think ORS in Sheffield, UK
can probably custom make the appropriate mainshaft for you.  I'm not
certain, but I think the housings will bolt up, with perhaps a few minor
adjustments.

> I don't mind altering and also strengthening my TR3A's
> frame, nor do I mind converting my tach or other minor
> problems.

Instead of all this grief and modification just to get OD in 3rd (which is
almost the same as 4th direct) and 4th, why not get a HVDA 5-speed
conversion and be done with it ?  Moderately priced (less than having a
trans & OD rebuilt), and no frame mods required.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: