TR4 driving lights - summary

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 driving lights - summary
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:18:45 -0600
Here's a summary of the on- and off-list reponses to my post about
auxiliary driving lights for a TR4. My original question to the list was
prompted by a not-especially-well-lit drive through the mountains in the
TR4 a few weeks ago. Here's the advice, and my plan:

1. instead get replacement 7" headlight housings that accept H4 bulbs.
Add a relay for the extra load. (2)
2. instead of lovely old Lucas lights get cheap Moss non-Lucas lights or
repros from alternate sources (www.gregorys.demon.co.uk, but it's not
responding right now). (2)
3. Try the good looking AND modern sCibie "Tango" driving lights as seen
on http://cibie.net/tango.htm (2)
4. Try the modern looking but very effective Hella Rally Freeform 4000
rallye lights (1)

Susquehanna Motorsports received several recommendations for sourcing
contemporary driving lights, see http://www.rallylights.com. And several
listers reminded me that if I want more light I'm overdue to upgrade my
generator no matter what.

What I'm doing:

1. This week I started to strip an old Benz 240D for parts for my wife's
'76. Turns out it had decent looking Hella auxiliary lights, so I'm
going to repair a couple wires and replace bulbs and see how they do.
2. I bought a single Lucas lamp on eBay after everyone in the world
somehow forgot to outbid me at the last possible second.
3. I really liked the discontinued Hella Rallye 2000 lights, which are
good sized chrome lights. They look a lot like the big lights on the
Shell 4000 TR4 rally cars if you like that sort of thing. You can see
these on the Susquehanna Motorsports site, they have one left,
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/2000.asp. I found a rally driver with a
set for sale new in the box, 2 driving beam and 2 pencil beams. At $300
for the four it's a good deal but more the "free" lights now on my
workbench.

If anyone out there really likes those Rallye 2000 lights let me know
and I'll put you in touch with the fellow.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO

Check out the new British Cars Forum: