RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:55:10 -0700
> My original response to Mr. Wallace was, "The life of the finger
> clutch and the diaphragm clutch is about the same when used in a street
> driven car."
>
> you say you disagree with my answer -- with what part of that
> answer do you
> have a quarrel or disagreement?

No quarrel at all ... I just feel that the TR3 clutch lasts longer and is
less prone to problems on the street than the 4A clutch.  TR6 in particular
seem to have a lot of problems with the same diaphragm clutch while the
finger clutch seems to last forever.  That might well be due to other
factors, but at the very least there doesn't seem to be any evidence that
it's worth switching to the later clutch for the street (which is what Jim's
original question was about).  And I wasn't kidding about having 300,000
miles on an original TR3A pressure plate that gets regularly revved over 5k
and sometimes to 6k.

> In my Comp Prep manual (a thousand pardons if I called it by the wrong
> name), in the printing in my posession there is an entire page devoted to
> clutches,

No problem, Jack, it's just that if you're going to quote chapter and verse,
you should get the quote right.  I'm quite willing to be shown I'm wrong,
happens all the time, but I have this nasty habit of checking references ...

> and while Kas doesn't say "don't use it", my suggestion is for
> you to ask Kas, now that we all have thirty more years experience
> with them.

"Gee Mr. Kastner, why didn't you tell us the finger clutch was a time bomb
waiting to go off ?" ... No, I don't think I'll ask Kas that question <g>

He's already stated (in his latest Triumph Preparation Handbook, page 122)
that he was surprised that most racers were still using the diaphragm
clutch; and that if he were building a racing Triumph today, he would use a
twin plate clutch, due to it's lower moment of inertia.

And while I have great respect for Kas, he does not "have thirty more years
experience with them" ... he hasn't built or raced a Triumph in a long time.

> But if I promise not to do that again, can we kiss and make up?

Jack, I honestly never meant to offend you, and I'm not in the least upset
or offended.  We have differing opinions, that's all.  Surely we can
disagree with each other without having to kiss (you silly savage) and make
up !

Besides, our opinions aren't really all that different.  I agree the
diaphragm clutch is better for racing, and probably even "fast road",
because it has a smaller moment of inertia.  In fact, I've already switched
for that reason (and accept the fact that I'll likely have to do clutch work
more often in return).

Please continue to give us your advice and wisdom, garnered from many years
at the race track (that I don't have), and forgive me if I occasionally beg
to differ.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same?

Randall

PS I haven't forgotten our deal to contribute to your racing fund ... just
haven't found that round tuit yet.  RealSoonNow.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: