RE: battery drain

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: battery drain
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:34:26 -0700
> I suppose that I could hide the kill switch under the car where
> it would not be seen.

Better, IMO, to hide it under the dash.  That way, not only is the switch
not visible, but if anyone watches you park or start the car, they likely
won't notice you turning the switch.

Even better than a kill switch is a solenoid that blocks the fuel feed.
When it won't start, they know something's up, but if it just dies, chances
are they'll just take off running.

> I will try to trace the drain but would anyone know any shortcuts
> or is it a
> matter of just running a multimeter over all the electricals.

One trick that might help : disconnect a battery lead and then temporarily
wire a small test lamp between the lead and the battery.  It should light
for any appreciable drain, and then go out when you disconnect the circuit
with the leak.

> PS I was amazed when I read a Sept 2003 NZ Classic magazine and
> found someone
> advertising a California TR4 with 24,000 miles on the clock for
> NZ $39,000.
> I hadn't realised that TR's had gone up in value so much in NZ.
> By the way the
> car was not restored but original cond.

Don't forget, advertising is not the same as selling.  There was a fairly
original TR3A advertised locally for USD 19k, that eventually sold for only
$11k.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: