TR2-4 Valve Spring Confusion

To: "tri" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR2-4 Valve Spring Confusion
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:24:49 -0400
The valve springs taken off my head are not the size sent to me by TRF.  (This
could have been the reason the PO abandoned this engine rebuild and sold it to
me!).  The outside of the old double springs that were on my head were 1.375"
in diameter.  While the outside of the ones TRF sent me were 1.240" .  (These
were the measurements given to me by the machine shop which would not,
thankfully, install the wrong springs.  I double-checked the TRF label which
correctly 'said' it would fit a TR4).  A posssible explaination for this might
be that a non-TR4 head was sold to me.  Another possible explaination could be
the TRF mislabeled a set of springs, but I doubt it.

Another related problem- since the engine block has  CT24256E stamped on it, I
assumed the head was also from a TR4.
Since making this assumption, I instructed my machine shop to install TR4
valves (5/16") and new valve guides.  Have I truly messed up?

I am mixed up about this, let me restate the problem:

1.375" valve springs needed for my head which 'might or might not' have
originally come on my TR4 block.
1.240" valve springs sent to me by TRF.
TR4 valves (5/16") and valve guides installed on this 'supposedly' TR4 head.

Did TR 2-4A all use the same valve springs? Again, I doubt it.

Bottom line: what should I do?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey

Check out the new British Cars Forum: