Subject: RE: TR2/3 installation of rear seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: RE: TR2/3 installation of rear seal
From: "Kentech Motorsports" <kentech@midmaine.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:01:30 -0400
I have a factory tool (weighs in at 7 = lbs) and it measures 2.822. It
is indeed a very tight fit as Randall stated but it not the Moss plastic
tool, its the real deal.

PeterK

> Asking about experiences installing original rear seal on TR wet
> sleeve engines. Did most make up a mandrel according to manual specs
> and use this to center seal halves?
> Any other techniques to center seal? Seems centering using mandrel,
then
> removing and installing crank, then re-installing seals leaves
> lots of room
> for loosing original setting.

Not really.  You remove and reinstall the rear main cap with the seal
half firmly attached, which is a fairly major piece of kit.

> At this point in engine re-build, so wondering if going off and making

> up a mandrel and following the book is the way to proceed.
> Thanks for any insights.

The dimensions shown in the book are supposedly wrong and result in too
much seal clearance.  According to a long-ago post from Hardy Prentice
(I think), the 2.822" shown in the book should actually be 2.818".  And
Brad Eells replied that the nylon tool sold by Moss was 2.823", even
bigger than the too-big dimension shown in the book.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: