hardware

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: hardware
From: "Gene" <geneglenn@qwest.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:10:54 -0700
Mike, Jim, List,

Most of the replacement hardware I have used has been AN (some MS);
that's because I have tons of it left over from aircraft rebuilding One
of the advantages of Grade 8 is the plating; grade 5 is usually Type I
cad; while grade 8 is Type II (cad- chromate).  Type II is far superior
to Type I when it comes to corrosion resistance.

When I started rebuilding my aircraft in about 1960-1964 in Richmond,
metropolitan population maybe 400,000, there were probably 6 shops
selling aircraft hardware; at least one on every airport.

Now, in Phoenix, population 2.4 million, there is 1 (ONE)!  I know every
major hardware manufacturer and vendor in the country; even the people
who supply people like Aircraft Spruce and Specialty and McMaster-Carr,
and all of their prices have skyrocketed; no one carries an inventory,
and shipping cost have gone through the roof.

The price difference between 5 and 8 is not terrible, and, I think,
worth the plating alone.

Gene

Check out the new British Cars Forum: