Re: Spares - was "Leaking heater valve TR6"

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spares - was "Leaking heater valve TR6"
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 06:30:10 -0700
> Oh my god, somebody else uses JB Weld besides me! I even carry some in
> the boot
> with my spares kit. It's right next to the duct tape, baling wire,
> hack-saw
> blade, electrical tape, blue silicone sealer, Tri-Lube, and ignition
> points.
> With these and some basic tools I think I can fix anything!

Being a Land Rover owner who actually uses her LR off road far away
from help  I a very big believer in the adage that "the best break down
is the one you prevented before you left home."

However well all know aberrations can happen.  So in addition to a
small tool kit and assorted fluids & goops I carry the following items
on long trips:

- Spare set of spark plugs
- cap rotor & points
- ignition coil
- spare longest spark plug wire
- length of insulated electrical wire & connectors
- spare fuses & bulbs
- spare brake light switch (These don't seem to last all that long)
- fuel pump rebuilding kit
- length of fuel hose
- carb gasket kit
- spare set of radiator hoses
- spare fan belt
- Spare fuel and oil filter

So far the only times I needed any of this stuff was during my first
couple years of TR ownership.  But it is worth its volume for peace of
mind.  I put my real efforts into ongoing and pre trip maintenance.

T.J. Wakeman

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: