TR3 Horns with any abuse report

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Horns with any abuse report
From: "Stephen Peca" <sppchicago@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:40:40 -0400 (EDT)
It's a nice day today - cool and clear, so I decided to try to fix my
non-functional horns.  I had to believe it was wiring, but I was hesitant to
rearrange the connections because the previous owner (two years ago) told me
that the horn did work before I bought the car, and the problem "must be with
the connections under the hood".  So I connected and reconnected to ensure the
connections were solid - no sound.  Then, I took apart and looked at the
control head - no problems.   Then I followed the wires from the control head
to the horn and noticed the brown wire from the control head was not connected
to the (left horn) but instead to another wire.  Time to experiment.  I
connected the two brown wires and, voila!  Sound!  A sound something like a
sick cow - but sound.  I had no helpers so I cannot tell if sound is coming out
out of just the left horn or both horns, but the brown wires are connected to
brown wires.  The sound is rather low, so I suspect it is only the left h
 orn, the lower tone.  Clearly, the horn(s) have not functioned in some time,
because after repeated horn blowing bursts, I noticed a smoke cloud above the
left horn.  I thought it was smoke from something burning up, but maybe it was
dust.  After about half an hour of intermittently blowing the horn, I am
getting a better sound, although it still sounds sickly and low (tone). So my
questions:
Can the horns be taken apart and cleaned?
How can I test to see if the right horn is wired correctly and (absent help)
working?
How can I (and should I) adjust the horn tones?  What is the correct or good
sound I am trying to hear?
(A side note, I removed the left horn from the car and noticed there was a hole
on the lower side of the trumpet.  The hole, slightly smaller than a dime,
appeared to have blasted into the trumpet from the bottom not unlike, say, a
bullet.  The metal is pealed back on the inside of the trumpet.  Any thoughts
about what caused this?  An angry mechanic with the car on the lift trying to
shoot the car?)Steve PecaAnnandale, New Jersey1958 TR3A - TS23867L

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: