Re: Why not drive these cars?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why not drive these cars?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:25:19 +0100
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, at around 21:49:50 local time, Paul Dorsey
<dorpaul@negia.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>My machinist said, "you'll proably be driving the Triumph less than 10,000
>miles a year, won't ya?"  Also, I've seen eBay listings, "car just sat in the
>garage, so I'm selling it."   I've never driven a Triumph and only rode in one
>once (thanks Ken), but 'what's the deal?'
>
>Too little?
>Hard to drive?
>Costly to operate?
>Are they unreliable?
>Don't like the attention?
>Can't get good insurance?
>Your mechanic won't touch it?
>Too precious for any place but your garage?
>
>inquiring mind want to know!,

Dear Paul,

The reasons that none of my Triumphs do more than 10,000 miles per year
are these:

- *I* don't drive more than 10,000 miles a year.

- I run several Triumphs, and never use a single car for more than six
   months in any given twelve.

So the closest answer of the ones you suggested would be the last.
Triumphs are not too little; not hard to drive; not costly to operate;
not particularly unreliable (when compared to other British classics);
the attention is great; insurance is cheap and easy to come by; any
amateur or professional mechanic can work on them; and although they are
precious, they are not so precious that you can't get them out and enjoy
them!

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671

Check out the new British Cars Forum: