RE: TR3 Turn Signals

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Turn Signals
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:52:08 -0700
> When I effect the left or right turn signals, the yellow light on
> the dash flashes once.  The external turn signal lights are
> flashing.  Is the dash light supposed to flash only once or is it
> supposed to flash in sequence with the external lights?

It should continue to flash.

> If the latter, what might be causing the yellow dash light to
> flash only once?

The flasher is defective/wrong.  We've discussed this at length, in a
nutshell there are flashers being sold as suitable replacements that are not
suitable replacements.  A Tridon EL13 works OK, but looks nothing like the
original.  I eventually rewired my indicator to work with the commonly
available (in the US) 3-terminal thermal flasher.

> I have noticed in hot weather with the engine/car hot after
> running for some time, the external turn signals will not flash.
> Clearly this is a conductivity issue, but any thoughts on where
> to start my search?  In cold weather, with the engine/car hot,
> this is not a problem.

This may also be a flasher issue.  There will naturally be some change in
current from cold to hot, the flasher should be able to handle it and
continue to flash (although the rate may change slightly).  If both right &
left sides act the same, then I would suspect the flasher.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: