RE: Altitude vs temp

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Altitude vs temp
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:25:37 -0700
> It is September in Ontario and this means the temp is a little
> chilly in the
> morning (mid 60's). We were talling about altitude effecting the
> performance
> of TR's, the question I have is does the ambient temp effect the need to
> adjust the mixture?  It seems that the cooler temps are requiring
> me to run
> with a bit of choke just to richen the mixture. Is the denser cooler air
> wanting to be richer?

There is a small effect, but it is small compared to the relatively wide
band of mixtures where the engine will run fine.  Even 30F should not
require readjustment.  0F might, but I've never lived where it gets that
cold.

I would say your description indicates a shortcoming in the ignition system,
or perhaps the engine is not coming up to temperature.  It's normal to need
to keep the choke on a little while the engine warms in cold weather, but
you shouldn't need it once the engine is warm.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: