California Assembly Bill 2683; Smog check for old cars?

To: triumphs@autox.net
Subject: California Assembly Bill 2683; Smog check for old cars?
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:48:01 -0700
Hi, Folks,

I wanted to speak briefly about some recent California legislation
affecting the CA-based list members. I hope not to set off a fire-storm of
'Kalifornia' bashing. Keep in mind that environmental legislation that starts in
California often swiftly works its way east.

I read the in paper about California Assembly Bill 2683 which was signed into
law by Governor Schwarzenegger last Thursday.

My understanding of the law is this: The old state smog legislation required all
cars to be smog-checked for models built after the 1973 model year. The idea
was that going forward, they would only require smog checks on cars 30 years
old an newer. Thus, starting this year, the 1974 TR6 owners would make their
last smog check and then finally be able to put on those triple webers and
header they've been drooling over for years as they would not be required to
pass a smog check any more. Next year, the 1975 TR6 owners could do the same,
and so forth with the exemption rolling forward 1 year annually.

AB 2683 killed that rolling forward exemption, and further, it imposed smog
checks on cars OLDER than 35 years.

I have read that one of the more verbal opponents is Jay Leno and his endless
garage of machines, so I'm guessing if it's going to affect him, it's going to
affect me as well. I'm just not sure how.

I have a 1962 TR4. To the best of my knowledge, it has no smog control devices
on it whatsoever. The crankcase vents to the atmosphere as does the fuel tank.
(I've been meaning to upgrade these items to 4a specs. Soon.)

However, I went to the CA legislature website and looked up the bill at:

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/acsframeset2text.htm

(I had to enter 2683 in the bill field)

and discovered this rhetoric:

any collector motor vehicle,
as defined in Section 259, is exempt from those portions of the test
required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 of the Health and Safety
Code, if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following
criteria:
   (1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a
collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the
bureau.
   (2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.
   (3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions
standards for that motor vehicle's class and model year as prescribed
by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional
inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel
leaks.

I find some of this rhetoric baffling as it seems to state that I am exempt from
smog if I show that my car "complies with the exhaust emissions
standards for that motor vehicle's class and model year as prescribed
by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional
inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel
leaks"

In other words, a smog check, albeit a very simple one. My guess is that smog
check would cost the standard amount of around $35, but not require a 'sniff'.

Sounds like revenue generation to me. That and a PITA while some kid 1/2 the age
of my car fiddles with my car.

Am I correct in my assumption? Has anyone else figured this out yet?

I think it's too late to register your outrage. The bill has passed. So going
forward, what are we looking at for compliance?

-jeffrey

Check out the new British Cars Forum: