TR6 electrical problems

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 electrical problems
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:02:15 -0600
My '74 TR6 with the "starter goes on and on" problem has developed even more
serious problems. The initial problem was with the starter, which would
continue to run even after the ignition was switched off. The last time this
happened, the only way I could stop it was to open the hood and manually
remove the positive battery connection.
I left the car for a few days, with the battery disconnected. When I went
out yesterday to test some circuits, the battery was completely dead. I had
left on the ignition switch, which was turned to the on position so I could
push the car into the garage. So, I put the charger on overnight.
When I attempted to connect the positive cable to the battery, there were a
lot of sparks, and a bit of smoke began to come out of the connections at
the alternator. I quickly disconnected again.
Question is where to start diagnosing? Would it have been possible to have
connected the charger up incorrectly (red to negative)? Doesn't seem like
the charger would even work, with the battery ground connected. Besides,
that would be such an unmanly thing to admit to!
Did disconnecting the positive cable when juice was flowing through the
system short out something?
Any comments/ideas appreciated.
Tom Bottman

Check out the new British Cars Forum: