Ford 8 inch Rear End, No TR - Stupid Question

To: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Subject: Ford 8 inch Rear End, No TR - Stupid Question
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:20:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net i9FCKC5e014784
Message text written by "Wayne Brazinski"
>Hi everyone!
I'm trying to figure out the ratio of a rear end.  I may be going loopy but
when I spin the pinion flange it seems as though the brake drums can spin
independently and my chalk marks don't seem to be a reliable means of
counting
the number of revolutions per turn(s) of the pinion flange.

Am I missing something?
<

You have a choice: 1) make sure both wheels turn the same amount (easy if
you have a limited slip axle) or B) secure one wheel from turning and
multibly the result by two. and III) (OK, you have three choices) add the
two numbers of wheel rotations and divide by two.

Seriously, on an axle that does not have a limited slip differential, use
technique #B.  If it is on the car you can jack up one wheel only.  If not
block it somehow.  For greater resolution, turn the pinion until you rotate
the wheel 10 times.  Divide the number of pinion turns by 5.  Turning the
wheel once will not reliable differentiate between a 3.08:1 and a 2.73:1
axle since it will be 1.5 pinion turns +/- a little bit.

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: