RE: '62 TR4

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: '62 TR4
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:18:28 -0700
> I'm about to start working on a '62 TR4 that has been in storage for at
> least 15 years.
>
> Other than changing the fluids, plugs. filters, and battery;
> priming the oil
> system. what should I do before attempting to start it.

Personally, I'd remove the plugs and give each cylinder a healthy shot of PB
Blaster (or your favorite penetrating oil), then leave it sit for awhile,
maybe several days while you attend to other matters.

Then leave the plugs out (or take them out again) while you spin the engine
on the starter and build oil pressure.  No need (IMO) to do any more about
priming the oil system, the TRactor motor has the pump literally submerged
in the oil so it's self-priming.  And with the plugs out there won't be
enough load on the bearings to hurt them even though no oil is circulating.

Definitely at least inspect the brake and clutch hydraulics for proper
operation.  There is a significant chance of damage during storage, since
DOT 3/4 brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air in warm weather and
then spit it back out inside your hydraulics in cool weather.  This,
combined with the many places where steel touches aluminum (setting up an
electrolytic corrosion cell), almost ensures there will be a fair amount of
corrosion inside.  You could make a pretty good argument for just rebuilding
all the hydraulics as a matter of course, so you can inspect for corrosion
(and switch to DOT 5 to prevent future problems).

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: