RE: TR4 transmission seals

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR4 transmission seals
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:01:45 -0800
> I'm pulling the transmission to replace the clutch and pressure
> plate and it has been suggested that I replace the tranny seals
> while it is out.  I'm not going to do anything else to the
> tranny....how big a job is it to replace the seals?  Any special
> tools or tricks?  My shop manual only shows the job as part of a
> transmission overhaul.

It's not too bad, if you're talking about only the input and output shaft
seals.  The shifter shaft seals are a bit of a pain since you have to
completely strip the shift housing to change them (and the replacements
don't usually fit right).

There is a T-shaped seal puller tool that makes changing the rear seal
easier, but care and perseverance (and a cheap screwdriver) will do.  Be
careful not to gouge the aluminum as you pry the seal out.  Also inspect the
output flange carefully where the seal rides on it.  My preference is to
polish the area completely smooth, but for sure if you can feel the groove
with a fingernail, it's big enough to cause the new seal to leak.  In that
case, buy a Speedi-Sleeve for it.  Not much you can do about the input shaft
without removing it from the transmission.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: