Re: LBC related: Lucas SLR 576 lights

To: britishtr6@earthlink.net, 6pack@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LBC related: Lucas SLR 576 lights
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:17:19 EST
In a message dated 10/31/2004 8:51:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
britishtr6@earthlink.net writes:

Does  anyone know what years the Lucas SLR 576 lights were made?
My father-in-law  just gave me a pair he's had in his garage for years.

======
The SLR and SFT 576s were made probably from the mid- or late 1950s through
the early 1970s. I do recall, while working ever so briefly in 1975 in a
foreign  auto parts store, that they were getting very difficult to source new
from
Lucas  by that time.

As I recall, date codes were stamped on the back of the lamp up to around
1963(?) or so, while later ones had no date code. I'm sure there were other
very
 slight detail differences as well, but they all look pretty much the same.

I do know that they tend to bring pretty good money on eBay, most  especially
if you have the relatively rare amber fog lens or the extremely rare  amber
spot lens! (A pair of 576s, one of each type in amber, just went for  around
$180 on eBay. Oh to have had the spare cash....)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: