RE: Glass Fuel filter

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Glass Fuel filter
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:34:40 -0700
> My TR8 has a glass fuel filter.  Not sure how common these things are but
> I've also seen one on an MGA.  You can see the filtering element
> inside and
> you can take it apart and clean it.
> What's the story with these, are they any good?  Would it be better to
> replace it with a more modern one?

Similar filters are still sold new, they just aren't commonly used on new
cars because they're more expensive than the paper element throw-away ones.
IOW what you have is actually better than what's on most modern cars.

BTW, if anyone is considering a new 'glass' filter (think they're actually
polycarbonate now), be sure to look for one with metal end plates.  Friend
of mine got one with molded plastic end plates, and one of them cracked a
few weeks later, spraying fuel all over the engine.  No real harm done, but
it was still an unpleasant experience.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: