RE: never rebuilt a TR3-4 before

To: "tri" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: never rebuilt a TR3-4 before
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:01:03 -0700
> Pardon my ignorance, but where do those two 15" white strips of
> felt/cotton go
> that were included in the lower end engine gasket set that I just got from
> TRF?

The rear main cap has grooves on each side where those felt strips go.  You
install and torque the cap first, then cut the strips into lengths about 1"
long.  Soak them in Permatex or equivalent, then tamp them into the holes
with a suitable drift (I use a length of aluminum rod).  Pack the holes
until they won't take any more (Ken Gillanders has written that there isn't
enough felt included with some gasket sets, so he sells just the felt,
however 15" sounds like more than enough).  Then trim the remaining felt off
just slightly (like 1/16") proud of the surface, so it will be compressed
slightly when you bolt the pan in place.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: