crank wheel shims and oil thrower 6.28.0.3; VDF: 6.28.0.11; host: smtp3.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: crank wheel shims and oil thrower 6.28.0.3; VDF: 6.28.0.11; host: smtp3.tcd.ie)
From: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:18:22 +0100
Hi all,
I decided to omit the two brass shims that sit behind the crank gear
on my TR2 motor rebuild, this was because when I fitted the gear
without the shims and lined it up against the cam wheel with a
straight edge they seemed perfectly in line. I am using a different
crank and new cam gear so I guessed this is why I no longer needed to
adjust. It seems however that the workshop manual considers these
shims as standard fitment. Do I need to undo everything and try
again, when using the straight edge against the gears I did not use a
feeler gauge but judged by eye. Secondly my Haynes manual suggests I
should fit the oil thrower with the concave side facing the crank
gear, surely this is back to front?
Finally finally thanks for all the good advice and maths lessons on
the cam timing, I eventually went with bisecting the angle of opening
on the inlet, this worked to 110 ATDC which I reduced to 109 to allow
for slack.
Regards
John
--
John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: