seperate tub from chassis?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: seperate tub from chassis?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:19:59 -0400
Cc: "tri" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> i9KCO25e008332
Message text written by "Paul Dorsey"
>I am almost to the stage in the restoration of my 60 TR3A where I will
replace
my floor pans, sills, and footwells.  These peices will take care of most
of
the rust.   Is there a good reason for me to ever seperate the body from
the
chasis?  I bought over $300 from TRF in rubber pieces because I wanted to
renew them all - but the chassis itself is not hurt nor has it ever 'seen
the
light of day.'
<

Paul, I, too, am planing on swapping out the floorpans on my 57 TR3.
Although I have never done this before (wellI did replace the pans on the
TR6 but I didn't completely remove the old ones and spliced then new ones
in) it has been said that this should be done with the car still on the
frame.  It serves as the alignment fixture.  It has also been said that if
you plan on removing the body you should replace the floors (and sills,
etc.) first one remove the tub only after everything is secure and solid.

So, do what I plan to do, that is remove the minimum number of bolts at a
time (ie. do one side at a time) and replace the floors, sills and
footwells on the frame.  After you have done all that you may reconsider
pulling the tub.

Cheers

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: