RE: TR4, Crossmember for gearbox mount

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR4, Crossmember for gearbox mount
From: "Triumph TR4" <triumphtr4@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:45:24 -0400
Thanks for the replies on this subject.  Joe Alexander is sending me one.
As an aside comment.  I have now removed the body form the frame and have
begun to clean and move parts to my TR4 refinished frame.  I have found
several differences which I should have known, but overlooked.  The TR4A
radiator is wider that the TR4 radiator and cannot be used.  Also found the
mounts for the solid TR4A axle are at 2" from the outer flange vs. 3.5"
required for the TR4.  Otherwise the 4 and 4A rear end are interchangeable.
I'm hoping to find a welder who can cut off the mounts and relocate to the
correct location for the TR4.  I will have to locate a late TR4 radiator
locally and get it re cored.  I hope I don't run into any more surprises I
can't easily overcome.  I have rebuilt the front wheel assemblies and
installed with no problem.
Darwin

Check out the new British Cars Forum: