Cheapo paint jobs

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cheapo paint jobs
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:51:05 -0400
        I second Frank.  I took an Auto body Course at the local Voc-tech
School and it really was a lot of fun. About half the "students" had
projects they were working on.  Some had taken the course several times just
for access to the great array of body working tools. Another student was a
professional welder who taught a number of us how to mig weld.  The
instructor gave us the choice of formal instruction or just spending the
time on our projects. It is difficult, however, to work in 2 hour chunks of
time (when you subtract set up and clean up time).  I found that the most
instructive members of the school staff were the  day students who acted as
shop helpers for the evening class.
        As an aside, a couple of years ago I had the hood of my Dakota
stripped and refinished by MACCO as there was a factory peeling problem.
After about a year after MACCO stripped and refinished the truck the finish
started to craze.  I brought the truck back inside of two years as the
finish has a three year guarantee.  The catch, the guarantee was pro-rated
and the cost of the refinish was almost two thirds of the original cost.
When I asked to see the pro-rate chart at the shop or from the MACCO home
office no one could quite find it or explain the pro-rating formula.  The
truck  did look real good for the first 8-9 months though.
Bob
'72 TR 6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: