GT-6 Overdrive Conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT-6 Overdrive Conversion
From: jibark@att.net (Jim Barker)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:01:40 +0000
Martin wrote:

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:18:38 -0400
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Subject: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

Reply:

My 73 TR6 had an A type overdrive bolted in position but it did not work.  I
took it to Quantum Mechanics and not only did he replace the A type with a J
type but he gave me core credit on the A as well.  When John took apart the A
he found the spider gears welded so that power was simply being transferred
from the trans to the rear.  It was only taking up space and two of the welds
had broken!  I surely did not have many more miles to go before I'd be sitting
reving the engine in any gear and not going anywhere!  John also found problems
in the differential gears.  He repaired this problem as well.

Now for the good part.  While the installation and repair was not cheap, it was
worth it.  Any interstate driving or even wide open state highways now can
accomplished at 75mph or more if you like without feeling like you're "pushing"
the engine.  The rpm's are way lower and so is the noise level.  I suppose if
your trips are limited to a 50 mile radius of your house, you might not need
the benefits of the overdrive, but if you plan to travel the overdrive is the
only way to go.

There is another option I never looked into.  Someone in Austrailia sells a
bolt in 5 speed trans for our cars which might accomplish the same task at a
reduced price.

Jim Barker
1973  TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: