RE: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2 Steering Box - Stuck rocker shaft
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:29:19 -0800
> Thanks for all the Bakelite tips. I now have that sorted out, but the
> re-assembly of the  steering box on the TR2 has me stuck - literally. I
> pressed in a new bush for the rocker shaft assembly, but now the fit
> for the shaft is so tight that it will not turn. Should I continue to
> drive this into place? I would think that since this is driven only by
> the worm gear, that there is not a lot of torque that is genereated
> from this and the fit should be very smooth and be able to rotate
> freely.
>
> Do I need to have the rocker shaft turned down?

My apologies if this was adequately addressed and I missed it.  Just got
back from a 6 day road trip to buy a TR3B (which turned out to be a
disappointment, so I came home empty handed).

The rocker shaft should not be turned down, rather the bushing should be
reamed after installation.  I don't recall the size offhand, but the rocker
shaft is made just slightly smaller than a standard size, so a standard size
reamer can be used for the bushing.  Don't bother with trying to use an
"adjustable" reamer, they're mostly junk.  However, Enco (and others) will
sell you a "chucking" HSS fixed reamer for under $20.  If you don't have a
chuck big enough to hold it, grind some flats on the shank and use a tap
holder.

http://www.use-enco.com/PDF/2004/29.pdf

Randall