The right tool

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The right tool
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:50:58 -0600
I have been chasing two oil leaks on my TR3 for some time.  Always assuming
the worst I figured it had to be the front and rear seals.  After going to
great lengths to get an engine hoist and stand lined up, clean out the
garage in order to get around the car and making arrangements with the best
engine builder on the list to take into his shop and replace the seals, I
was planning on spending this long week-end removing the front apron,
radiator, etc and pulling the engine.

Wednesday afternoon a friend / professional mechanic suggested that I take
his UV dye kit home and pinpoint the exact problem before I go to the
extreme of pulling the engine and tranny.

Viola!  One bolt one the timing chain cover (the one that holds the chain
tensioner) and a little snug down on the valve cover and I see NO leaks.  I
still want to get the car in the air to check the main rear seat from
underneath, but I'm pretty sure I have the high engine leaks.

Moral of the story, Don't assume the worst and try the easy stuff first.

Ken Gano