more on TR4 and 4A flash to pass

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Triumphs List)
Subject: more on TR4 and 4A flash to pass
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:43:25 +0000
I corresponded with Dan Masters who is working on his TR4/4A manual.  He is
interested in the variation I have observed and discussed here a few weeks ago.

The issue was that the factory wiring diagram says that the flash to pass
function of the headlights has power coming from a separate (fused) power
source and then energizes the headlight circuit before the dip switch, so only
the dip switch selected beams will flash.  Therefore if your headlights are
already on then there will be no "flash".

TR6's (and maybe TR250's too, but I do not know) will energize the highbeams
with the flash to pass, so if the headlights are on low beam, then the highs
will come on as well.  If the headlights are off, then the highs will flash.
If the high beams are on, then nothing happens (in that case you probably do
not need the flash to pass anyway)

My TR4A (73336L) with an original wiring harness will flash the highs only
(like the TR6) with the flash to pass (pull backward on the lighting switch
stalk).

Jerry Van Vlack said his car works the same.  Does anyone with an original
(functioning) TR4A harness NOT have this ability, and only flash whatever
lights are selected by the dip switch?  The way to tell is to have the
headlights OFF and the car running, then pull back on the lighting stalk and
then use the foot switch to try to switch high/low.  If the highs stay on, then
you have one like mine.  If the lights change, then you have the type
documented in the factory diagram.  If nothing happens, then your harness is
not correct.

Oh, also can you tell me your commission number.  Maybe this was changed part
way through the TR4A run.

-Tony