Re: Fred do an archiving.

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fred do an archiving.
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:11:41 -0700
At 6:00 -0800 17/12/04, T. S. White wrote:
>Fred paper products deteriorate as you probably know.  I think you
>might contact your local librarian and get a referral to an
>archivist who can preserve the paper.  He can probably make the
>copies you need for scanning too.  I would not handle the originals
>with bare hands either.

Let me add my support to Tom's suggestion.  I paid for my undergrad
education by working in a paper mill and in grad school my department
was in the same building as the School of Library Science - never
have figured out what the science part of librarianship was. ;-)  But
I know that unless it is properly preserved your paper will crumble
away. I also concur with Tom in that you should always wear gloves
when touching it.

If you plan to take it to take it to auto shows I would definitely
only take copies, bright sun and people touching it will not be good.

Finally again agreeing with Tom. speak to a librarian at a large
library (academic probably the best) or if you are near a university
with a library school try to get some advice on preserving it.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
5483 W Potter Dr
Glendale, AZ 85308