RE: TR2 Telescoping Steering Column

To: "Dan Scharpf" <dfscharpf@yahoo.com>, "Triumph_List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2 Telescoping Steering Column
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:38:26 -0800
> I'm putting together my steering column for my TR2 and I think my inner
> stator tube that carries the wires to the control head is too short.

Dan, the first thing I see from your photos is that you have the wrong piece
attached to the control head for an adjustable steering wheel.  I'm too lazy to
go take measurements at the moment, but the adjustable control head should have
roughly 8" that sticks down the steering column and engages the stator tube.
Your photo looks like you have the 4" or so that goes with the non-adjustable
version.

For the adjustable wheel, there has to be room between the dimples that engage
the stator tube and the control head, so all the dimples remain engaged in the
slot even with the wheel at the outer limit of it's travel.

It also looks to me like you've got the wrong stator tube as well, but I'm less
certain of that.  The adjustable version has a longer slot, so that it can still
bottom in the longer version of the control head stub.  With both of these
pieces wrong, I would start questioning if you have the right column for an
adjustable wheel.  Possibly some DPO has tried to swap the steering wheel,
without realizing all the other things that are different ... which probably
explains the broken stator tube.

Randall Y