Re:u-joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:u-joints
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:16:30 EST
Excellent advice, Carl! Also it is very important to replace those Nylok nuts
with new, at the very least. When I removed my drive shaft a while ago, I
found reused Nylok nuts and didn't need a wrench to remove 6 out of 8 of them!
They weren't even "finger tight". I think it's also a good idea to use
strong-holding red Locktite on the metal threads of the nuts, but try to keep
it off
the nylon part of the nut (to do so, place a drop on the bolt near the base of
its threads, then tighten the nut onto it). Optional, but a good idea is to use
new, high-strength bolts. These are not easy to find in small quantity unless
ordered from one of the TR vendors. Bolt flange length is critical to avoid
*any* threads inside the bolted parts, where it will act like a milling machine
and eventually oversize the hole. Another option is to use all-metal lock
nuts or upgraded aircraft type nylon locking nuts.  And, I agree with other
good
safety investment. Overall, best advice is to do whatever you can to insure as
best possible that the drive-shaft stays securely in place at all times. A
drive-shaft coming loose is likely to be disastrous, whether it be from faulty
parts, loose bolts or balance problems.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm
IMO - it would be best to replace damaged flange with a new or good used
item. Used should be cheap and plentiful.. I just saw the whole TR6 drive
shaft
assembly NOT sell on eBay for 0.99 cents - I would think 1 good used flange
would be fairly cheap.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
- -------
Hope you all had a happy holiday, and had some lbc time!
this is my first time doing u joints, and after spending way too much time
actually getting them apart, discovered this:
http://www.sumton.com/daves/cars/tr6109.JPG
should i replace this piece?  (it's from the drive shaft on a 72 tr6,
actually)
thanks!
btw here's what it looked like on the car!!
http://www.sumton.com/daves/cars/tr6107.JPG