Re: TR4 tonneau covers

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 tonneau covers
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:30:17 -0700
Tim I. Purdy wrote:

>...the group's opinion and/or experiences...

I got a TR4 tonneau from Moss in early 2002.  It fits pretty tight even
with the LTDs as far back as they could go, it's not easy to get both
those center front snaps on.  OTOH, tight is better than loose.

FWIW - I sometimes suspect that tops and tonneaus are made using
originals as patterns without allowing for the fact that the original
may have shrunk through the years.

The edge binding was not like the heavy material I have seen on other
tonneaus... it was thin, smooth and somewhat brittle.  Within the first
year it had cracked in many places.

Moss took the old one back and sent me a replacement w/o any hassle or
hesitation.  The replacement has a different edge binding and so far (2
years) has not cracked.

My only dislike of the Moss tonneau is that the brass zipper does not
have a flap under it (like my TR3 tonneau has).  Riding with the tonneau
half-open seems likely to chafe the dash pad where the zipper rubs
against it.  I push a folded bandana under there to protect the dash
pad... other more elegant solutions may yet occur.

BTW - The TR4 tonneau requires the adjustable steering wheel to be in a
specific spot to fit the pocket over it properly.  It is a couple of
inches back from the full-forward position... but that seems to be a
good position for it for me.

Photo here:
http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/5tonneau.JPG

Geo Hahn