Lucas CRT15 Wiper Motor Details Needed, Please

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lucas CRT15 Wiper Motor Details Needed, Please
From: Dave Speed <dspeed@4speeds.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:04:10 -0700
Greets -

In rebuilding my wiper motor (the connections to which had been nibbled by
rodents) on my 1955 TR3 and have encountered a senior moment.

Unlike my normal organized self, I've lost the slip of paper that showed
what goes where wire-wise on the connection end.  My (largely complete
otherwise) Bentley shop manual was of no help in this case.  Piggot (on
page 60) shows the part and identifies it as a Lucas Model CRT15, but does
not show the wire end.  A web search showed a similar part on a Morgan, but
not the details I need.

The wiper motor was completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed before
reassembly; this required some disturbance to the electrical connections.
Two wires exited the Bakelite housing, one on the lower LH side which I
believe to be the (positive) ground.  The other wire (soldered to a
terminal inside) exited further from a second hole in the Bakelite to the
right and (as I recall) went to one of two brass screw connectors.  I think
it was connected to the LH (towards the rear of the vehicle as mounted)
connector.  I *vaguely* recall the power wire going to this terminal and
the other terminal being unused.

Is this correct?  I can send a photo if this helps.

Also, any suggestions of what to use to replace the black foam mounting pad
would be appreciated; mine was not reusable.

Otherwise, I'm ready to pull the body off the frame next weekend - a little
behind schedule, but its been 14 degrees down here and I don't have heat in
the garage for those temps.  But we did finally settle on the color (a red
similar to the one on page 128 of Piggot) and I got the dash close to
completion (recovered and instruments mounted) with new wiring for the dash
lights fabricated and the glovebox door et al remounted (inside work).

I spent some time getting my old web server back together during the recent
cold weather so I can share a visual portrait of the rebuild shortly.

Dave in Carlsbad

1955 TR3 - In Repose

Churchill said: "Appeasement consists of being nice to a crocodile in
the hope that he will eat you last."