RE: TR3A SU rebuild

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3A SU rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:06:00 -0800
> Speaking of SU's, should it take the strength of two people
> to pull the choke cable out?

No.  I use two fingers on the knob and prop a third against the dash, then a
twist of the wrist pulls it out.

>  I bought the original choke cable

Did you grease the inner cable ?  Is it stranded and in good shape ?  The true
originals were stranded, and the strands sometimes break inside the outer
sheath.  Solid replacements are junk, IMO.

> and rebuilt the jets and they operate easy

Do you mean it's easy to move the linkage with everything hooked up ?

Is it possible someone has replaced one of the pins in the linkage with a bolt ?
They should all be smooth pins, with no side pressure on any of the joints.  You
might also consider replacing the return springs if you haven't already.
Sometimes people substitute the wrong return springs...

> Also, my choke cable
> has to be routed around the right side of the heater core and the
> solid part of the cable up next to the knob, the 4-5 inches before it
> turns into the flexible cable, almost hits the heater.  Does this sound
> right or has my heater been moved a bit?

I don't recall it being that close, but it's been a long time since I've had a
heater installed in the wrecked car and I'm too lazy to go look at the "new"
one.

Randall Y