RE: (Sit down) Miata seats in a TR3?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: (Sit down) Miata seats in a TR3?
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:09:43 -0800
> However, the Miata seats are farther off the floor, so at least some
> modification of their frame is likely necessary.

They're actually lower than the stock TR4 seats. In order to install the seats
the "feet" on the Miata seats are modified using a regular hacksaw to remove
the "Mazda" mount. It took about 15 minutes to do all eight feet.

Here's a link to Paul Tegler's web site that shows before and after pictures.
It's an installation into a Spitfire, but the basics are the same for any car.
http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/miataseats/

> Don't forget the tonneau
> won't
> fit either, unless you have it modified with pockets for the headrests.

Remember the seats backs recline. On the Miata seats they go back pretty far.
There is a slight inconvenience, but laying down the seat back all the way
allows the tonneau to go on without any modification to the tonneau. While I
can't directly speak for the TR3 I seem to recall that the rear deck sill was
higher than the TR4, which MAY mean less "laying back" of the seat. The comfort
far makes up for this inconvenience (IMO).

What I'm looking into now is if a rollbar can also be installed.

I've installed a pair of 3.5 in Infinity speakers in each headreat. I love
driving with ZZ Top playing!!!

John