RE: tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: tr3a clutch pedal sticking down..
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:29:23 -0800
>  One
> thing I have noted, is that the pushrod coming out of the master cylinder
> feels quite loose in the `rest (unactuated) condition, with maybe about a
> quarter of an inch of fore/aft play against the piston.  Is this
> normal?

If I remember right, your clutch MC should have circlip and plate that traps
the end of the pushrd against the piston in the released position.  So no,
shouldn't be that much play, but a missing/broken circlip might be the
problem.

> know there is an internal spring which can break and stop the clutch from
> actuating; can this also affect the return?

Yes.  In fact, the way it stops the clutch from actuating is by not
returning the piston.

I don't know if anyone lists this spring for the 3A yet, it used to be part
of the rebuild kit but hasn't been for a long time.  However, the equivalent
TR4 part will fit, Moss 582-065.

Randall