Re: Two TR3A radiator questions

To: "Geo Hahn" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>, "TR"
Subject: Re: Two TR3A radiator questions
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:24:07 -0800
I installed an aftermarket recovery tank (not a 4a tank, although I am sure
that would look better) on my 3a. It took some doing to get it to work, but
I am pretty sure it is working now. The "secret" of course is the radiator
cap. I am using a 7 lb cap with a 3/4" neck. Don't know what kind of car it
was intended for - I just went into NAPA with the original cap and started
matching them for size. I also made sure it was for a recovery based system,
but I don't rememeber exactly how I did that. A radiator cap pressure tester
should work.

I still don't understand what mechanism causes the cap to allow fluid back
in, though. I can see that the added pressure of the heated coolant will
cause the stopper to rise letting the coolant into the overflow tank, but it
seems that as the coolant cools, it would tend to keep the stopper closed
not allowing the fluid to return.  Anyone know what magic makes it work?

Bob