RE: grose jet guts

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: grose jet guts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:45:41 -0800
> I was taught that the grose jet is a non-pressurized way of keeping fuel
> supplied to the needle.  And both the grose jet and needle-and-jet are like
> two ends of a garden hose and are kept at the same level.  What do you mean by
> 'throw it in the woods'?

Paul, I think you're about confused about terminology.  What you're describing
is the float bowl, and yes, the car was originally equipped with float bowls (as
are all automotive carburetors).

However, "Grose Jet" is a brand name for an "improved" float valve that uses a
ball bearing instead of a brass stick to form the actual valve.  The theory is
that the ball bearing will turn and so reduce wear; plus it's really hard so the
seat will wear anyway.

But the big problem is that it exposes more area to the incoming fuel, and so
requires more force to hold the valve closed against the fuel pump pressure.
Depending on the condition of the float, it may not be able to supply the extra
force and so the valve will not shut off reliably.  The result is fuel being
dumped all over the place, hopefully on the ground and not in the engine (where
it can potentially do serious harm).  Of course fuel on the ground isn't so
wonderful either ... since it usually runs down the exhaust manifold to get
there !

Randall