Re: Engine out - pictures

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine out - pictures
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:16:05 +0100 (CET)
On Sun, February 20, 2005 23:19, Graham Stretch said:
> Hi Eric
> A small tip for you for next time or others for their first engine  /
> cylinder head teardown. Leave the carbs on the manifold, the time added to
> the manifold removal replacement operation is insignificant compared to
> the time required to remove replace the carbs from the manifold and
> balance them up and fettle the linkage operation etc especially if they
> were well balanced before work started.
> This is of course if you are not intending to work on the carbs whilst
> they are off, or swap the manifold for one in better condition or some
> such other reason!

I generally agree with your comment, but I did put some thinking into this
one beforehand.

Firstly, the exhaust manifold/header is held on by the same clamps as the
intake manifold. I wanted to leave the mild steel header in place on the
car, because the end is probably rusted solid to the rest of the exhaust
system. That's stainless steel, but it's brittle and I want to disturb it
as little as possible.
Secondly, I had to manhandle and transport the lump on its side in my car,
so the carbs had to come off anyway.
And thirdly, I'm not really bothered with carbs getting out of adjustment.
I've done so much adjusting and balancing of my own and other people's
SU's over the years (it's amazing how a cheap Gunson Carbalancer thingy
attracts all sorts of cars from miles around) that I can almost do them
blindfolded now. ;-)

Eric

--
'57 TR3A TS23315L