About Spitfire lower throttle spring return brackets...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: About Spitfire lower throttle spring return brackets...
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:03:16 +0100 (CET)
List,

Just for the record, the archives and posterity, I feel the urge to share
some esoteric knowledge on lower bracket return springs, which I gained
over the last few days - thanks in part to this list and Graham Stretch in
particular.

I've come to the conclusion that there were two types of lower throttle
return springs on Spitfire 1500's with twin SU carbs.
The first type is part number UKC3281 and (according to the official BL
parts book) was fitted up to engine number FM118390E and commission number
FH133691. According to the Moss Europe Spitfire catalogue it was attached
to the front suspension turret. Now that would explain the body colour
paint on mine!
The second, later type is most common. It's part number UKC9193 and it
attaches to one of the exhaust downpipe nuts. This is the one I saw on a
post-1979 Spitfire at the local classic car dealer.
To make the story complete: Spitfire MkIV's with 1300 engines came with a
lower throttle return spring bracket, too. It had part number 157065 and
was attached to the chassis rail.

So there you have it, the fascinating science of lower throttle return
spring brackets on late, Euro-spec Triumph Spitfires explained! ;-)

Eric

--
'57 TR3A TS23315L
'76 Spit FH88257L