RE: TR front axle dust cap removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR front axle dust cap removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:32:29 -0800
> >This reminds me of the method my buddy, Bart, uses for seating
> the bead of
> >the 10" wide tires on his late model stock car.
>
> What's wrong with those skinny inner-tube-looking things that are used for
> this purpose?
>
> Or if they are bias-ply slicks, the old constrictor belt.

I've watched professionals struggle with both of those methods ... they just
don't always work.

Was in a shop getting some mobile home tires mounted a few months back ...
they had a gizmo that shot compressed air between the tire & rim to seat the
bead.  Small hand-held tank, maybe 5 gallons, pressurized to perhaps 175
psi.  Had a 3" outlet with a ball valve and an end that looked kind of like
a defroster vent.  Stick the nose down between the tire & wheel, slam the
valve open, and Bang! another tire seated.  Sounded like a shotgun blast,
but worked slick.

I asked about the other bead-seating tools I could see, he said they didn't
work for this type of tire.

Randall