RE: Cleaning Guages

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cleaning Guages
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:06:24 -0800
> I would like to clean my gauges before re-mounting them in my TR3A.  I
> cannot figure out how to remove the bezel and the glass to get at the face
> and underside of the glass.  Any suggestions?

Sometimes, you can grip the chrome bezel firmly (one of those rubber things
they sell in stores to help open jars would probably help) and turn it so
the tabs line up with the slots.  But most often, you have to gently bend
the tabs up first and then twist.

Once it's off, you'll probably want to replace the black sealer between the
chrome and the glass.  Someone posted a good tip on some sort of putty that
supposedly works well, but I can't find it at the moment.  I just use O-ring
material.

So far, the best substitute I've found for the "window" material is cut from
a plastic water bottle.  Anyone have a better suggestion ?

Randall