Re: Fuse/Circuit Breaker

To: mini@nashvilletn.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuse/Circuit Breaker
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:07:49 EST
In a message dated 3/31/2005 3:29:20 PM Central Standard Time,
mini@nashvilletn.org writes:
> I have been sorting out some wiring issues with My TR4A and wonder if
> anybody
> had put a large fuse or circuit breaker in the Brown main power lead.  I
> have
> a few 50 Amp breakers with an on/off switch that might make sense.  Any
> Thoughts why I shouldn't put one under the dash?

Most modern cars have 100 amp fuses for this purpose.  Before that they used
short pieces of sacrificial wires called fusible links (just a fuse in another
form) to protect the car wiring.  So this concept is not without precedent.

But discussions of fusing quickly evolve into a philosophical discussion
about how much you want to spend and how finely defined is the protection.
This
means if the fuse blows because the wiper motor shorts out is it OK if the fuse
also takes out the turn signals, reverse lights, heater motor and gauges (as
happens in the current design)?

But adding a protection to the main brown wire is pretty easy, all you have
to do is find the source.  Oops, do you fuse the battery source or the
generator source?  Hmm.

Dave