RE: GT6 cylinder valve spring tool

To: <Windoseat@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 cylinder valve spring tool
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:36:43 -0700
> I've been attemting to remove the valve spring retainers on my GT6+.
> I have purchased two different types of compressors and neither seems
> to work.

Are you saying they don't fit ?  Or that they won't compress the springs ?

If it's the latter, the keepers are most likely wedged into the retainers.  When
I have this problem, I lay the head on the bench with the valve heads down, and
a big nut under the valve I'm trying to loosen.  Then a short length of 1"
diameter gas pipe (just what I use, galvanized would work just as well) and a
rap from a BFH (about 3#) will loosen the keepers.  Sometimes they even pop out,
but usually not.

Then I use a home-made spring compressor which is just a length of heavy flat
iron bar from Home Depot, with a notch on the end to fit onto one of the rocker
pedestal studs (with a nut & washer temporarily installed) and a hole drilled in
it to fit over the keepers.  Pry down on the spring with the bar, and pick out
the keepers with chain nose pliers.

Randall