RE:harmonic dampeners

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), stilton@protoprod.com
Subject: RE:harmonic dampeners
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:34:23 +0000
Scott, I did a little investigation into this question.  The reality is that
the modes of vibration are sufficiently complex that the dempeners were
selected by trial and error.  It was impossible to accurately estimate all the
factors and all you could do is try it and see.

I added a dampener to my (former) TR4A.  I got it from Cambridge Motorsports.
They used an MGB dampener.  I tried to see if they actually tested these things
or just found one that was from an engine of somewhat similar size and one that
would fit.

My then mechanic wanted to consider various american engines and try to guess
which dampener might be right.

Anyway, I think that there was very little science that went into the Cambridge
Motorsports selection, except to say that they build race engines and they
seemed to survive adequately well.

As for a TR6, I do not think you can open a catalog and make a pick.  You can
probably find quite a few which will fit, but which one has the right resonant
frequency??????  Do you have a few engines that can be tested to near
destruction?  That is the only way to really tell.

I suppose if we could model the engine digitally, then we could simulate the
vibration, but we would need to know quite a bit about the metallurgy and
construction....

-Tony