Dick and Vance -- ZS needles

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Dick and Vance -- ZS needles
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:06:12 -0400
Hi,

I guess I need some education.

I've never disassembled a ZS carb or removed the needle from the carrier so
keep that in mind.

I do however have the old thin Haynes ZS manual with the tables in the back and
also Nelson's carb
descriptions.

My TR250 engine will be at 9.5:1 CR and I will have a Integral Cams Stage II
274 duration cam with
Roller Rockers and .425 valve lift. I believe I need richer needles in my ZS
carbs for this. At
least that's what Joe Curto thinks.

In Part 3 Appendix 1, Applications List, of the Haynes manual lists a B2Y blue
needle for the TR250.
Appendix 2, Metering needles, section says this needle is adjustable. I assume
that is an error?
yes/no? It's really non-adjustable?

Joe Curto gave me a Jag B1E needle which Appendix 2 Metering Needles says is
adjustable.

OK the questions....

In all the cut away drawings it appears that there is a button or knob on the
carrier end of the
needle. These Jag B1E needles I have from Joe Curto have no such "button" end.
It's simply a
straight smooth shank. I have lots of ZS carbs most with 3385 or 3337 brass
tags which are listed in
the Haynes manual as 71/72 vintage with B1AF adjustable needles. I will use
these carbs rather than
my non-adjustable original TR250 carbs.

Is it simply a case of removing the B1AF needle from it's adjustable carrier
and inserting the Jag
B1E needle? There are no markings on these B1E needles. Is that typical? What
about this knob or
button I see on the carrier end in the cut away drawings?

Thanks,

Don Malling