Re: breaking motor in on a stand?

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: breaking motor in on a stand?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 05:44:43 -0700

Raod Runner wrote:

> Paul:  Block testing can be a definite asset to your efforts as long as
> you have the time and money.  To obtain optimum results, your engine
> must be assembled with its major critical components, i.e. cooling
> system, fire and fuel, balanced fan and flywheel. exhaust and a rock
> solid mounting system. Instruments for measuring performance are also
> necessary.  Or a reputable machine shop, well equipped,  can do the job
> for you.

To which I add:
Engine test beds are not always available in all areas and are sometimes
not all that cheap.  But they are needed to keep the engine in place
while running.  For those of us not doing HP testing of components it us
usually a lot easier and cheaper just to mount the engine into the
vehicle and break it in there.  I for one think it is more fun to break
in an engine in a car on the road than standing  behind a safety shield
staring at a stationary engine while my pocket book is hemorrhaging money.

But if it is something you wish to do, call around to find out who has
an engine test bed.  This is definitely something you do not want to try
at home on a stationary engine stand  =8^0  That could become very
exciting for a short time!

TeriAnn

With a mental cartoon image of an engine mounted on a wheeled stationary
engine stand.  Engine running & the fan gathering enough air to propel
the engine & stand forward.  Imagine also cartoon figure chasing engine
down the street.