Re: Using Worm Drive Clamps on Drive Shafts

To: guy@genfiniti.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Using Worm Drive Clamps on Drive Shafts
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 07:50:23 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/2005 9:42:29 PM Central Standard Time,
guy@genfiniti.com writes:
> Is it wise to use worm drive clamps to secure the rubber gaiters to the
> rear axle shafts of a TR IRS car?
>
> When I took them apart for reconditioning, they were secured by wire.
> I'd like to switch to a worm drive clamp, but fear it may throw off the
> centrifugal balance when these things turn at high speeds.  Anyone have
> any experience in using wire vs. clamps?

I suggest you use nylon cable ties instead.  They are much lighter and will
effect the balance to a much lesser degree and they are even easier to install.
 Just nip off the tail once they are tight.

I use them on half shaft gaiters, CV joint gaiters and steering rack gaiters.

Cheers

Dave